The Roberta and Stanley Bogen Library and Documentation Center
The Roberta and Stanley Bogen Library and Documentation Center of the Harry S. Truman Research Institute for the Advancement of Peace is unique among the libraries of Israel and of the Middle East. Our collection focuses on conflicts taking place in regions of the non-Western world—Africa, Latin America, East Asia, and the Middle East.
We have a growing collection of material about and by the Palestinians, mainly in Arabic and English. This material includes publications by other research institutes in Jerusalem and the West Bank, and a large collection of books in Arabic on the Arab-Israeli conflict. There is also a special collection of Arab school textbooks from Jordan, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Iran and Iraq from the 1970's that constitutes an exceptional source for researchers.
There is a significant collection of Chinese and Japanese material, and the library holds a complete set of the Japan Times, Japan's main English-language newspaper, dating back to March 1897.
Personal archives donated by a number of former diplomats and researchers on issues concerning the Middle East and Asia are stored in the library. The list includes: Gavriel Baer, Mordechai Bar-On, Mordechai Gazit, Yehoshafat Harkabi, Mehachem Milson, Ya'akov Shimoni, Ya'akov Yehoshua, Moshe Yeger and Moshe Zak.
Additional resources include:
- Current subscriptions to journals in print format. Selected articles in some of these journals are indexed in our online catalog.
- Newspapers in print and microfilm form from our focus regions.
- Pamphlets and articles concerning the Palestinian-Israeli conflict after 1967 collected by the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It also includes material explaining Palestinian and PLO political ideology vis-à-vis Israel.
- Copies of Hebrew translations of published news items from 1963-1988 compiled by the Hatzav Unit of the Israeli Defense Forces.
- The Salomon Collection of about 2.500 books on war and peace, an important source for the period leading to World War I, its aftermath and the period between the two World Wars.
The Truman collections are part of the general catalogue of the Hebrew University libraries. For more detailed information about all of our materials, please use our online catalog.
A generous donation from Board member Stanley Bogen is part of the endowment to ensure the long-term functioning of the library.
Roberta and Stanley Bogen at the AFHU Palm Beach Scopus Awards Gala
(Photo Credit: Lucien Capehart Photography)